Finding Peace in the Chaos of the Holidays

This time of the year causes a lot of stress for many people.  Parties, holiday shopping, less daylight, cold and snow are just a few of the stressful items on the year of the year list.  Some people become so stressed that it is hard for them to function or enjoy what this season has to offer.  They forget to play and laugh and become a regular scrooge.   

Image may contain: plant and treeStress has a way of blocking your joy. I have always had this problem with stress.  Although over the years I have gotten better at managing stress or at least managing what I believe causes me stress. Or perhaps I am just better able to let things go that I know are not in my control. This past week was a busy one for our family.  Every night was booked with something, leading to long days and nights.
Not leaving room for my regular routines really stresses me out and leaves me feeling drained rather than joyous.

But there is also just something about this time of year that makes me space out.  All I want to do is be home, watching a movie or reading.  At work I find myself day dreaming, about nothing in particular, just to get me out of the space that I am currently in. I chalk it up to being board and uninterested in what I am doing, but I know that isn't what is creating this unease with the present moment.

Is it just stress?  Or could it be worry about the up and coming new year? Perhaps it is guilt and regret over all that wan't accomplished this year.  Will next year be just as unproductive?  What do I even want from this one life.  All of these thoughts, needless worries and judgments come up in December.  I bet I am not the only one this happens too (more on how to handle this in a different write up).  And they all add to the stress of the holiday season.

In between all of the chaos of the season and my racing thoughts and wandering mind, there are moments of peace and serenity.  This past week, as busy as it was, I found peace in many moments.  Some scheduled but most arose spontaneously. If you know you are going to have a busy week, schedule some peace.  I scheduled a massage at the end of my busy week and it was a perfect beginning to my weekend.  There was also my daughters birthday present,  tickets to the Ballet the Nutcracker, that was mid week, although it made for a long day, I was able to be fully present and relaxed for the show. Then last night my husband run in the annual Tinsel Toes race, a short little 5k through down town with all the holiday lights.  I didn't run this year, but as I waited for his quick return, I was able to sky gaze.  Sky gazing, no matter what the weather or time of day, is an excellent way to bring peace to your day.

Thank you for reading!

Peace Love and Gratitude

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Motherhood

Day 1: 28 day Happiness Challenge

Day 10: 28 Day Happiness Challenge